Council services continue to be significantly disrupted due to a serious cyberattack, and you may experience difficulty contacting us or using our services.
Key essential services, including our coronavirus response, continue to operate, but some of our services may be unavailable or disrupted for some time.
Our phone lines remain open for essential help, advice and emergency support. However, we are asking you to avoid contacting us unless absolutely necessary, and to be patient if your call takes longer than normal or we have difficulty providing you with the information you need straight away.
Paying by direct debit
Disruption to our payment systems means that some Council Tax payments by direct debit may be delayed and a very small number cannot currently be processed.
Direct debit installments that were due on 21 October 2020 and 28 October 2020 have been delayed. The 21 October installments are now expected to leave accounts on Friday 28 October, and the 28 October installments are now expected to leave accounts on Monday 2 November.
The installment amounts will be in line with the most recent direct debit payment on each account. In a small number of cases where this varies slightly from the agreed amount for the next payment, this will be reflected in your Council Tax account so that any slight underpayment is added to future payments, and any slight overpayment deducted from future payments.
If your direct debit installment has been delayed you do not need to do anything – your payment will be processed as soon as possible. To avoid paying twice, please do not try to pay this installment in another way.
Other ways to pay
If you do not pay by direct debit, you can continue to make one-off Council Tax payments:
- Online at hackney.gov.uk/paying-your-council-tax
- Over the phone using the automated service by calling 020 8356 5050
We are currently not able to take payments:
- By card or cash at the Hackney Service Centre
- Over the phone with a member of staff using the general Council Tax line (020 8356 3154)
Your Council Tax account
We are not currently able to provide information about or make changes to Council Tax accounts. This includes:
- Processing changes of address or circumstances
- Making one-off refunds
- Providing account updates or copies of bills or statements
- Amending payment instalments or arrangements
- Issuing SMS or email reminder messages
- Setting up new Direct Debit arrangements
- Issuing notices for unpaid and cancelled Direct Debits
We are working to restore these services. In the meantime, please check hackney.gov.uk/service-status for updates.