Pupils in Hackney are set to learn about Black British history, thanks to a groundbreaking new curriculum, developed by Hackney teachers and council staff.
‘Hackney’s Diverse Curriculum – the Black Contribution’ is a new, nine-week lesson plan spanning from Early Years to KS3 and 4 students, and will further the teaching of Black history in Hackney and the UK.
Fittingly announced during Hackney’s Black History Season, the curriculum will enrich the work already being done to teach young people Black British History. The work will also complement the Council’s commitment to being an anti-racist borough as outlined in Hackney’s Black Lives Matter Motion revealed in June 2020.
Hackney’s Diverse Curriculum – the Black Contribution will feature a series of modules which catalogue the contributions of Black people across the ages. Modules can be adapted for the needs of students and used by educators at any time. Modules include; When I Grow Up (for Early Years), The Windrush Generation, Activism, Untold Stories, Stories of our Lives, British Identity, Diversity in Science, Windrush; an exploration of British History, and Windrush Past and Present.
Within the Windrush units, students will learn about the announcement of Hackney’s two new public artworks to be revealed in 2021/22. Created by renowned artists Thomas J Price and Veronica Ryan, they will honour Hackney’s Windrush Generation and help young people learn about the power of storytelling through artistic expression.
Artefacts from Hackney’s Museum and Archive will also help bring stories of migration and the origins of Black culture to life.
Notes for editors
- To find out more visit hackneyservicesforschools.co.uk
- For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hackney’s Diverse Curriculum – the Black Contribution will be sent via email to all Hackney Schools and will be available upon request by schools outside of the borough.
- Funded by Hackney Council.
- The lesson plans are designed for Early years through to KS3 and 4 students.
- More information on Hackney’s Black Lives Matter Motion
- More information on Hackney Council’s Black History Season
- More about the Windrush Artwork