Sadly, Hackney Carnival will in 2021 once again take place online, but will build on the success of last year’s ‘Hackney Carnival at Home’ which attracted over 60,000 interactions worldwide.
Normally, the carnival – London’s second-biggest which has attracted up to 80,000 visitors – would involve a street parade of sound systems and dance processions celebrating the many carnival cultures residing in Hackney.
However, as uncertainties around the pandemic continue, events will be hosted on online platforms drawing together the borough’s renowned grassroots carnival groups who will remain at the heart of the offering. There will be further opportunities for residents to get involved in the fun through virtual workshops, challenges and livestream events.
In addition, the Council and emergency services will continue to focus resources over the coming months on responding to the coronavirus pandemic.
Proposals are being shaped and details and timings will be announced in spring and if Covid restrictions ease in time, there is a possibility of some smaller, pop-up carnival activity taking place in Hackney’s parks or outdoor spaces. More details will follow as the Covid situation becomes clearer.
Notes for editors and for more information
- To register your interest in taking part in Hackney Carnival 2021 online activities please fill out this short form http://bit.ly/HCarnivalForm
- Like the Hackney Carnival Facebook Page to keep up to date with announcements.
- Follow @HackneyCarnival on Instagram
- Images of Carnival 2019 are available to view on the Hackney Council Flickr account.
- For the latest information about how the Council is working hard to slow the spread of coronavirus and to sign up for email updates, visit hackney.gov.uk/coronavirus