Secondary school students, their families, and school staff can now get tested for coronavirus even if they do not have symptoms – in a Hackney Council drive to minimise cases in schools.
The borough’s Director of Public Health, Sandra Husbands, has written to all households with a child or member of staff in secondary school, encouraging them to get tested twice over the festive holidays – once before they enter a Christmas bubble on 23 December and once before returning to school.
To book the tests, use the NHS COVID-19 app, visit nhs.uk/coronavirus or call 119. When booking, select:
- No – not an essential worker
- No symptoms
- No – not part of a trial
- My council has asked me
The option of an appointment at a local testing centre or a home testing kit will be offered.
Anyone who tests positive for coronavirus must:
- Self-isolate for 10 days
- Give the details of anyone they’ve recently been in touch with to NHS Test & Trace when contacted
Testing sites for coronavirus will remain open over the Christmas and New Year period.
To help tackle the virus, it is still really important to get tested if you have symptoms of coronavirus, however mild, such as a fever, a new continuous cough or change to your sense of smell or taste. If you experience any of these symptoms self-isolate immediately for 10 days and book a test.
It’s also important to isolate yourself for 10 days if you’ve been in contact with someone who has coronavirus symptoms, or has tested positive, to break the chain of infection. You may be contacted by NHS Test and Trace to let you know that you’ve been in contact with someone who is infected with coronavirus and they will advise you.
We have made sure that you can get tested locally in Hackney at:
- Dalston, Bentley Road Car Park, N1 4BZ (open 7 days a week 8am-8pm)
- Hackney Central, Mare Street, E9 6ND (open 7 days a week 8am-8pm)
- Stamford Hill, Sandford Court, Bethune Road, N16 5BB (open 7 days a week 8am-8pm)
- Homerton, Hackney Marshes Centre, E9 5PF (open 5 days a week Mon-Fri 9am-3.30pm)
- Stamford Hill, Yesodey Hatorah School, Egerton Rd, N16 6UB
A new rapid test for coronavirus is also now available, offering a result in around 30 minutes. Residents should only use this site if they do not have symptoms and want to get tested. Find out more about the new test centre at Stoke Newington Town Hall.